10.13.2009

the healing within

okay so the title isn't permanent i just can't quite think of one. but anyway. this is for a creative writing assignment from aplit to go along with A Separate Peace. also: the names and flowers have certain meanings, they weren't just picked randomly. yes, i am that deep. haha and it was complete coincidence that the girls' name i gabi.


There was a flower. One lone evening primrose reaching up through the snow. With your hand in mine we walked. We walked and talked. We fell in love. I know we fell in love because the moment was beautiful, absolutely gorgeous. The chilling cold and biting winds meant nothing to us. As we walked close together through the wilderness of Montana, we experienced life and magic. If I grew tired, you held me in your arms. If I talked, you listened. That afternoon secured my hopes and dreams. Do you remember? I hope you do. It was then we discovered true love.

After that moment we were changed. We didn’t stop or slow down or grow weary. We trudged on through the fresh snow, soft and beautiful… and deceiving. Another flower. They became more frequent and more beautiful, overcoming the harsh surroundings. I was captivated; I almost didn’t notice your stopping so abruptly. Looking around, I saw a change in the terrain. With no warning we had stumbled across beauty and peace itself: a hidden haven among the cold, acres of flowers spread out before our eyes. The flowing yellow fields seemed to last forever, but were our eyes playing tricks on us? Almost as soon as we began to slowly make our way through the field, stopping to dance, to sing, and to enjoy ourselves, the ground changed once again, this time, sloshing beneath our feet.

The new snow was not as soft as before, but it was not firm either. We were in a state of in between, a middle ground. Our journey continued to present rough patches followed by captivating sights. Once or twice you became distracted and let go of my hand. It was during these moments I was not sure where I was going, I lost myself. But you returned. You never failed to bring me back to you. I always knew where I was when we were together. When we walked hand in hand through the wilderness of Montana, your eyes, your gaze, drew me in every time. I knew I loved you and I knew I always would.

That was then, however. We didn’t know what lie ahead. Such pain, such loss. No field of flowers hidden in the snow could prepare us for that. The day in the hospital replays over and over again in my mind. Her name would have been Gabriella. I still love her. I still miss her. I tell Zoe about her. Sometimes we talk about what Gabi would have been like. Would she be blonde or dark? Loud or quiet? Tall or short? Do you ever wonder?

You and I also talk about Gabi often. Communication strengthens us. We are continually growing. Family. We walk hand in hand in hand. We walk close together through the streets of Madison. When I grow tired, you hold me in your arms. When I talk, you listen.

No comments: